Sunday, August 4, 2013

Wooden Initial Decoration

Hey all! I recently Instagrammed a picture of a letter that I made for my dorm door, and I got a few emails asking how it was done. It was insanely easy, so I thought I'd share it with all of you! 



The supplies that you will need are: 
Wooden letter (any size)
Mod podge
Small foam brush
Credit card or large foam brush (don't worry you don't paint with the card!)
Large scrapbooking paper
Scissors 

I got all of these from Michaels for under $20. I would definitely advocate getting a small to medium size foam brush because I made the mistake of originally getting the large one...and it didn't fit into the opening of the mod podge can. 

First, I used the wooden letter as a stencil to trace a S onto my scrapbook paper. 

Then I cut it out. Or rather, I politely asked my mom to cut it out for me. This step will be easier for some people because some letters are easier than others (if your name starts with I or E I'm jealous). S has to be one of the most difficult ones. You also might want to seek assistance if you're a lefty (like me) and only have righty scissors (like me). 



Next, I covered the wooden letter in matte mod podge using the foam brush. I applied a medium amount so that the paper would stick but not enough to make it gooey (if that makes sense). As my cut-out letter only covered the top of the wooden letter, I did not paint the sides of the wooden letter. 

Before the mod podge was dry I carefully lined up the cut-out and placed it on the wooden letter. I then used my large foam brush that didn't fit in the mod podge to go over the letter and smooth out any air bubbles.  A credit card or something similar would work for this as well. 

Finally, I covered the letter and the paper in a thin layer of mod podge. Make sure to brush in the same way when you're doing this because sometimes mod podge can leave lines that can blur the pattern of the paper or make an odd texture. Let it dry for about 20 minutes and your letter is ready to go!



I totally feel like I just wrote a lab report, but there you have it. What kind of crafts have you done for your dorm? I'd love some other ideas!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment